Speak Up is the AIA’s new annual advocacy leadership event. Debuting in July 2016, Speak Up will be three exciting, dynamic and inspiring days where architects will get new tools and strategies to advocate for their profession and their communities.
Speak Up will feature advocacy training and interactive discussions on how architects can better engage in the legislative and political arenas at the federal, state and local levels. It will bring together AIA members from across the Institute to share winning strategies, learn from political professionals and find new ways to mobilize members to advocate in their communities. And it will offer attendees the option of using their skills to advocate for the AIA’s agenda on Capitol Hill.
Speak Up Will:
- Connect and grow the number of AIA members engaged in advocacy.
- Build the capacity of AIA members, committees and chapters to advocate for the profession.
- Advance AIA's federal agenda with more effective Capitol Hill visits and agency meetings focused on building long-term relationships.
Who Should Attend
Speak Up is open to any AIA member, especially those who believe they can make a difference in the world through engaging in the electoral and legislative process at the national state or local levels. If you are an architect or emerging professional looking to advance the profession while realizing your own potential to lead and change, Speak Up is the event for you.
What Attendees Will Learn
Speak Up’s training sessions will give attendees the chance to hone and expand their advocacy skills. The training sessions will cover skills needed to become advocacy leaders, including:
- Government and Politics 101
- How to Craft and Communicate a Winning Message
- Effective Presentation Skills
- Talking to the Media
- Becoming a Community Leader
- Building and Motivating Volunteers
- Building Relationships with Legislators
At the end of the event, you will take home:
- A network of architecture colleagues from across the country that share your passion, with whom you can share ideas advice and advocacy plans.
- A Personal Action Plan including organizational and professional advocacy goals you will write that will guide your path to being an advocacy leader.
- A deeper understanding of the importance of architects engaging in the political and legislative process, and the ability to share that understanding with others.
- More confidence in your ability to engage with community leaders, legislators, government officials and volunteers.
Speak Up will take place at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The Hyatt Regency is only steps from Capitol Hill, making it easy for attendees who choose to visit their Congressional representatives. The room rate at the Hyatt will be $199. Registration will open in mid-March.
Speak Up is open to any member of the AIA. The 2016 registration fee will be $395.