Architect or Designer
Whitten Architects in Portland, Maine, is looking for an architect or designer interested in joining our client-focused and design-driven residential practice. You would become a valuable member of our team and would work directly with the firm’s principals.
Since 1986, Whitten Architects has been designing thoughtfully considered homes in New England. With its 30-year-plus history, the firm has a vision for the future with a newly expanded leadership team that includes principal Russ Tyson and associate principal Jessie Carroll joining founder Rob Whitten at the helm.
With a focus exclusively on residential design, our projects vary from camps to cottages, modern homes to historic renovations. Our work has won a number of awards over the years and has been nationally published in a variety of home design websites, books, and magazines.
Our like-minded team of five architects and two designers share a common ethos: we believe a home should reflect its occupants, and its design should first develop from an appreciation for and a thorough understanding of its site. To get a glimpse of what we’re working on, follow us on Instagram: @whittenarchitects
Our office is situated amid the brick and cobblestone of Portland’s historic Old Port, surrounded by world-class restaurants (the most restaurants per capita of any metropolis in the country), a thriving arts scene, the Portland Society for Architecture, and opportunities to immerse yourself in the great outdoors. See why people move here and never leave, and why Portland has been routinely been named a top 10 place to live for quality of life.
- Development of design concepts and details o Direct involvement in client and contractor meetings
- Preparation of Construction Documents
- Sourcing and specification of materials and systems
- Construction Administration; including site visits on extraordinary properties
- Contributing to a small studio environment
- Written and verbal communication
- Graphic communication capabilities
- Computer aided and physical modeling capabilities
- Although not required, ArchiCAD and Sketchup experience is a plus
- Commensurate with experience Benefits:
- Full medical coverage
- 401K plan with 3% employer contribution
- 2 weeks of paid vacation o Summer flex-time
- Parking in the Old Port o Performance-based bonuses
Please respond with cover letter, resume, and examples of your work to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.